Sunday, April 20, 2014

Impacts on Early Emotional Development



The region I decided to focus on was Eastern and Southern Africa. I would be lying if I said I had some profound reason as to why I chose to select this region, but I don't. The decision really came simple to me. It was the one region I have always wished to visit.  What better time to gather information on the children of an area that I one day hope to help. I wish I could say that I am surprised at the many issue the children in this are face. This children suffer from malnutrition, AIDS, unsanitary water, inadequate protection, and lack of immunization.

Children are suffering from chronic malnutrition. About 25 million or 40 percent of children under five years of age are suffering from it. These children have limited access to foods and sometimes go days without eating. The children also have limited access to medicine and education. In some areas of this region, there are a higher percentage of boys in school than girls. For secondary education, rates are significantly lower. The regional averages for enrolment are 32 and 29 percent for boys and girls, respectively, and an even smaller proportion actually attends school (UNICEF, n.d). In this area there has also
been efforts to prevent and respond to violations of children's rights. Public campaigns have been used to help shed the spotlight on violence against children. These issues can have lasting affects on children's emotional well being and development. They may have issues forming lasting relationships with other because of the rapid death rate due to diseases that plague the region.

When I read about children in these harsh situation, it increases my passion to work with children less fortune than I. I would love to one day visit the poverty areas of Africa and be able to contribute to their lives in some way. Until that dream is made a reality, I hope the work I do within my community can have a lasting effect on today's youth. I hope I am able to touch the lives of those in need by giving back.

UNICEF-Children of Eastern and Southern Africa. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org

No comments:

Post a Comment