Sunday, November 24, 2013

Who am I as a Communicator?


In thinking about the differences and similarities between how I evaluated myself as a communicator and how others evaluated me, there were more similarities than differences. One thing that surprised me was how my colleague viewed me as a communicator. She viewed me as be the type of person that is not afraid to communicate or speak my mind. She perceived me as being a person that feels comfortable and confident communicating. To me this was surprising because at work I don’t communicate as well as I would like. I am effective when I communicate with my parents but when it comes to communicating with my colleagues I tend to be more quiet and reserved. I would say that my lack of communicating with my colleagues comes from the environment in which I work. For the most part my results were correct about the type of communicator that I am. In the results I received when I evaluated myself, it revealed that I am empathetic and concerned with the emotions of others, which is true. I am genuinely concerned for others and sometimes put their needs above my own. I can see how this could also interfere with my judgment because I try and see the best in everyone and I tend to be very trusting. It also showed me that when communicating sometimes I lack confidence in my speaking but that is because I worry about what others say or think. These evaluations have opened my eyes and showed me areas in which I need to improve in order to be an effective communicator.

No comments:

Post a Comment