Sunday, October 20, 2013

Welcoming Families From Around the World

Scenario
You are working in an early childhood setting of your choice—a hospital, a child care center, a social service agency. You receive word that the child of a family who has recently emigrated from a country you know nothing about will join your group soon. You want to prepare yourself to welcome the child and her family. Luckily, you are enrolled in a course about diversity and have learned that in order to support families who have immigrated you need to know more than surface facts about their country of origin.

The name of “your” family’s country of origin: Indonesia
At least five ways in which you will prepare yourself to be culturally responsive towards this family

  1. I will first learn about the language. I would try and learn some simple phrases that would help break the ice between me and the family. 
  2. I would learn about their customs (i.e. how the communicate, dress, family roles, and etc.)
  3. I would research the schools there. What the children learn and in what way?
  4. I would learn about their food.
  5. I would think of ways I can include their culture into my classroom. How can I make the learning environment welcoming. 

A brief statement describing in what ways you hope that these preparations will benefit both you and the family

I hope that these preparations would help my new family feel welcomed and at home. I think it will show my parents that different cultures are embraced and treated as equal. For me it would help me understand my family a little more before meeting them. It would give me an idea of their culture and how to communicate effectively with my new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment