Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Connections to Play

I think play today is more centered around technology. Children are spending more time in front of a TV or video game and less time outside. I know for me as a child, I enjoyed being outside and my parents encouraged me to go. For me growing up, playing outside with my friends was my outlet. It was my way of expressing my creativity and using my imagination. As a little girl, I was kind of rough, I guess you can say I was a tomboy. I got dirty, ran around and climbed trees. Play was my time to be me and just do the things I enjoyed. I feel that children today are relying more on technology for fun instead of creating situations in which the can learn from through playing. Play still plays a role in my life today. I'm the type of teacher that loves to play with my students, inside and outside.


Quotes on Play

"Play is the highest expression of human development in childhood, for it alone is the free expression of what is in a child's soul."
-Friedrich Froebel

"Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity."
-Kay Redfield Jamison

" For a small child there is no division between playing and learning; between the things he or she does just for fun' and things that are 'educational.' The child learns while living and any part of living that is enjoyable is also play."
-Penelope Leach

Essential Play items for my younger self

The most essential item I needed  to play was a free open space and trees that I would climb. Paradise.
I enjoyed riding my bike with my friends and family.  

I love to jump rope.

3 comments:

  1. I agree technology, as great as it is has caused children today to become nature deficit. It is so incredible what a child can learn from technology, but if we cannot get them outside to play and enjoy their surroundings they are losing an incredible amount of learning too. I was always outside too, riding my bike or roller skating. I wish I had the time to do it more now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quote about their being no division between playing and learning; for I believe that through play that is when you are truely learning. I like your play items as I chose a bike also and nature. I remember doing many non-traditional things with the jumprope. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,

    I love what you said about the open space. Your blog reminds me of the way the children react when it is recess, whether elementary, early years or secondary they all get excited to go in the free open space.
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete