Tuesday, August 27, 2013

When I Think of Research....

Before taking this course on building research competence, the thought of conducting a research project or even reading the analysis of a study terrified me. Even when I have read case study before, at the end I always asked myself, "Now, what did I just read?" After taking this course, I can see that I am a little more comfortable with reading and conducting research/case studies. Through out this course I have learned a great deal of information from the proper way to read a case study, to how to design one. I now have a greater understanding of what it takes to conduct research that is valid and beneficial to the ECE field. I also understand the purpose of research. It can help answer questions through observation, experiments, data collection, and interviews. The thought of research doesn't scare me as much now as it did before. 

When it comes to planning a research project in early childhood, it is important to think about the issues that are faced in the field and consider how a research project can make a change. You should also consider your interest and the interest of others. When designing a research project, one must understand that it takes times. Good design will ensure that your research provides you with data that enable you to achieve what you set out to achieve--whether it is to describe, understand or explain what interest you (Naughton, 2010). Your design is your plan that will address specific questions and their expected outcomes. In conducting research one must first gain permission from participants. I think one of the major things that has been stress and just making sure the data collected supports your topic and is accurate and valid.

My biggest challenge throughout this process was just making sure I comprehend the information I read. At time I was lost but I think by rereading the text and putting the information in my own words. I was able to better understand it. My perception of an early childhood professional is still the same. I still see us as important members of society, that work hard to provide better learning experience for the children. 

Before I end my blog, I would like to thank my colleagues for all their input and thoughts. THANK YOU!

Reference:
Naughton, G. M., Rolfe, S. A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research.


Open University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment